Saturday, January 19, 2008

Maps for the trilogy

During a class it was mentioned that people have actually made maps for the setting of Tolkien’s work. After a quick search on Google for Lord of the Rings map I found two websites that have multiple maps. I am assuming that they are accurate, as I have not read the trilogy before. They are http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tolkien_maps.html and http://www.lord-of-the-rings.org/collections/maps.html. I hope that they will help others in the class when they are reading to keep track of the different locations, as they will me, when I will eventually get lost.

3 comments:

Eachus24601 said...

Somewhat related, You can see some of the maps penned by Tolkien himself at the Chicago Field Museum.
The Exhibit Maps: Finding Our Place in the World is going on till January the 27th, and also has a lot of historical maps made by ancient greeks, DaVinci, and Louis and Clark to name a few.

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/maps_tempexhib.htm

Here's the Tolkien works listed.

Thror’s Map
For The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien

Topographical view of Minas Tirith
For The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien

Notes on Times and Distances
J.R.R. Tolkien
circa 1943-44

jasontrout said...

Its still just blows my mind that people hoave taken this so far. I was not aware of how "indepth" people have gone with this book. It blows my mind, that they have gotten soooooo into this imaginary place.

dustin said...

Talking about how far some people take this. Well, I'm a huge led Zeppelin fan and in my research of them, there are a couple of songs that reference The Lord of the rings, in them. I've just came to realize how great these books really are.