Thursday, March 20, 2008

Frodo's development

In our recent readings I have been impressed by Frodo's development of wisdom. I feel he has become a knowledgeable leader for him and Sam and has many moments that are similar to how Gandalf or Aragorn would act or speak. For example, Frodo seems to know how to say something to persuade Gollum for his help. In the past few chapters, Frodo has developed the way wise men keep quiet until he delivers a very well stated reply to someone. On the other side, Sam seems to be speaking much more than he did previously and I am wondering if the ring is having an effect on him in a small way. However, back to Frodo, he also has a respect to others (i.e. Gollum) that wise people seem to also deliver. Anyone else picking up on Frodo's wisdom development?

4 comments:

Heather Ater said...

I think that he was speaking the way he did to Gollum because he knew that they needed his help.

Megan Becker said...

On the contrary, I think that I am seeing a progression in Sam rather than Frodo. I see Sam as stepping up to be the leader, and Frodo is just slinking into the background.

Jenni Davis said...

I agree with Megan, that I see the progression with Sam. Sam is stepping up and taking charge to keep Frodo on the right track towards their goal. Sam has a strong allegiance to Frodo and is using that to keep his focus. Frodo is the one losing his focus of the task.

Nina Miller said...

I also agree I think they have come along way but I also notices something cool with gimili and legolas and that is there special relationship between dwarf and elf!!