Saturday, February 9, 2008

Gandalf...what's up with the attitude?

I just want to make a general comment, but before I do I want to prelude it with this. I love Gandalf. I think he is someone to be admired and a very intriguing character. Having said that, however, I still wonder what's up with all the attitude he has? I mean, it just seems to me that he is the best and he knows it. He asks everyone to "counsel" him with their ideas, but always does what he wants to do anyway. If I was traveling with him I would give him a piece of my mind (probably only to be punished with his staff or something). Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else saw the massive attitude problem that he has been displaying for the last set of chapter that we have been reading or if it is just me.

4 comments:

Heidi Harshman said...

I think this type of attitude can be attributed to having any type of leadership position. Because of his position, I think Gandalf feels he has to take control of the situation. Especially because the mission to take care of the ring is important. I think he feels he can't just sit back and let the journey be done how others want it to be, because he knows the history of the ring (perhaps) more than any other person involved?

jasontrout said...

I feel his attitude comes with being a wizard, they are the know all/end all of power on middle earth. He has the knowledge to be assertive, let alone the "powers" he posesses. His age may contribute in his attitde, some "seniors" act this way in our world they have seen a lot and lived through a lot. so they feel they should not have to listen to any new advice. My grandfather always felt all family business had to be "okayed" by him first since he has seen and done the most out of the family. Gandalg just wants everytone to know who is in control.

ashley F. said...

I believe he has this attitude b/c he knows what lies ahead. He feels if he is not assertive then the hobbits will not listen to him and everything will go wrong. Out of all the characters I would have to say Gandalf is my favorite character though.

allison said...

I agree that Gandalf has an attitude and that also he does that because he does have so much power. He knows what is best and has traveled those areas. I also noticed that he calls the hobbits names for doing foolish things. But, it was funny when Pippin threw the rock, Gandalf punished him by putting him on guard watch.